Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hunter Jan 10

Hi All,
There were a number of people who contacted me and said that ski conditions yesterday were very good. Of course the snow softened by late morning but visibility / light remained flat. It's the old story - ask 5 people something subjective and you'll get 5 different opinions. If you do not like my reports don't read them and ask to be taken off my list - no problem - but the majority of the 113 on my list generally accept what I have to report which is alot more than just surface conditions. There are a number of people whose opinions I do not agree with - and you know who you are - because they will ski anything any time and whose philosophy is any day on the slopes is better than a day in the office. Some have better vision than others but defensive skiing for whatever reason to me is not enjoyable nor worth the risk! I may not have as many days on the slopes as some of you but what I do have on skis is quality time which to me is more important than quantity.
 
Today was a great morning weather-wise, brilliant sun, temps mid 30's and climbing, a stiff breeze and excellent grooming surface conditions on the front side. Racer's was still not groomed tho. The problem for me today was the crowd - it was like a weekend day with long lines and crowded slopes by 11 am. Apparently NY State has a program that Hunter participates in whereby different ski areas offer NY residents a coupon to buy a lift tkt for $10 on line and today was Hunter's turn. At least 1,800 were sold and this is on top of college week. It is great for the mtn and local businesses.
 
Claire's and 44 were closed this am as they were polished to a shine by the strong winds last night which also blew tree debris all over the slopes. Wayout was open but still a bit frozen and crunchy at the time I skied it. Ski conditions should be excellent this pm as temps climb into the 40's and the sun stays out.
 
The forecast for Fri & Sat varies and the wet weather my hold off until later in the day. See the mtn top forecast as well as the NWS forecast below.
 
There is a great Blues Hall of Fame concert coming to the Orpheum Theater in Tannersville on Sat night Feb 16: http://www.catskillmtn.org/events/world-music/2013-02-16-the-blues-hall-of-fame-night-at-637.html   Reserved tickets are only $25 for a great lineup!
No report tomorrow.
Ski ya,
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment